Stay Sharp

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lantern Bonanza




Went out on my bike last Saturday to see the famous Lantern Festival a couple of kilometers outside Chiangmai City. I'm not much a festival goer anymore and to be honest I didn't feel like going to what would undoubted be an evening of too many people trying to be at the same place simultaneously. A nightmare for my antisocial self, often bringing out the grumpy old demon in me. Festivities and spectacles not my way of having fun if I out it that way. However, regardless the hoards of excited Thai and falangs, the moment when the Chief Monk (it is a Buddhist festival after all) declared it a "GO" and thousands of people lit and released these white paper lantern I was in awe, pretty spectacular. Got caught in a thunderous rain storm half way back home, so a rather memorable evening out after all. Wish I had my Canon gear with me though. The Panasonic GX1 is a handy little thing and handles many situations well, but focusing and night scenes not being it's strong point at all. 












No comments: