Stay Sharp

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Mediumformat and the Night raiders






Had the pleasure to join up with my old time friend Motoyan (just google him) and his motley crew of outlawed cyclists last week. Always a treat to night-ride with these guys.



For the camera geek:

Shot with a Hasselblad 503CX, 80mm f2.8 CF, Ilford 120 Kodak Tri-X 400, Monopod and a small LED light….in a back street of Koenji - Tokyo, Japan.

I shot 2 rolls of 120 film this night (x24), just a sample of what I got. The top one got exposed slightly when I pulled out the film in all haste just a tad too early after what I took for a sufficient handcrank rewinding. Shooting with a relative "fast" fil that ISO 400 afterall is, the light was pretty low and gave me still rather borderline shutterspeeds for even a monopod and LED. So glad I brought these with me and I have slowly starting to get to grips with what I need and how to do it to get the desired result I seek. Not too keen on precise sharpness in this projects of 6x6 B/W portraits of the creatures of the Tokyo underground. Some grit, some nice and dark "mood" and "feel" is what I need and strive for as a main player. I feel stupid, bit like a fool heading out from my bunker with all this gear on a ride like this (or any rowdy deathmetal gig…same feel, same mood in a way). But after all is said and done, it's just plain simple happiness and pride as a film photographer to have captured what I wanted that rules the moment. Hope you good people like it as well…don't really care if you do or not though!











































snafu

No comments: